Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Cowboy Cookie

So again, using a pinterest recipe, I tried a one pan skillet cookie with the original recipe coming from here.



Here's the original recipe

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup chocolate chunks

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in an 8 inch cast iron skillet set over medium-low heat. Stir in sugars and vanilla and remove from heat. Let rest until pan is warm, but no longer very hot, about 5 minutes.

2. Crack an egg onto the butter and sugar mixture, and use a fork to whisk it well into the mixture. Place flour, baking soda, and salt on top, and very carefully stir into the mixture until smooth and well-mixed. Stir in chocolate chunks. Place in the oven for 15 minutes, or until starting to turn golden on the top and around the edges, but soft in the center. Serve with vanilla ice cream.


So the only substitution I made was dark brown sugar for light brown sugar.  I love dark brown sugar in my chocolate chip cookies, and I always have it in my spice cabinet. Oh, I also eliminated salt; I hate salt in my cookies, and I usually halve it in most recipes.

Prior to adding the chocolate chunks


After making this cookie, I let it cool, and then I dove in expecting sheer cookie delight. However, I was disappointed.  The cookie tasted like FLOUR, thus, I added vanilla frosting to cover up or minimize the flour taste.  At first, I thought it was edible, but in the end, I had to throw it away.  But not to be defeated, I knew I could have the perfect cookie cake in a cast iron pan if I made a few modifications.

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cups + 1 Tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chunks (semi sweet)


I, of course, tasted the dough before adding the chocolate (because who doesn't do that...admit it!), and it tasted like success.  So I added the chocolate, threw it in the oven and waited.


I hardly let the cookie cool (the roof of my mouth would be evidence, but sorry, no picture...) before tasting it.  Aw, yes, this is what I wanted.  Good cookie.  Soft, round, and would make the perfect cookie cake.  Just add your favorite icing and decorate!

And since I made some modifications and felt this cookie could be made on the range...or while camping, but using a dutch oven, I gave it the very original <insert sarcasm> name so that it was different that the one pan skillet chocolate chip cookie...

No comments:

Post a Comment