Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

What's the Point of Pinterest?

If you don't have Pinterest, you could count yourself lucky, but secretly wonder if you are being left out of something spectacular.  Pinterest did provide me two good recipes, but also gave me a dud.  I am amazed that I was able to try three recipes in one week in addition to making a diaper cake for a baby shower on Thursday!  Maybe that's why I have limited time to sleep...

The first of the Two Thumbs Up Recipes is Flourless Fudge Chocolate Chip Cookies

Here's the link to the original recipe: http://chocolateandcarrots.com/2011/07/flourless-fudge-chocolate-chip-cookies

Original Ingredients:

3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened Hershey’s dark chocolate cocoa powder
1/8 tsp. salt
2 to 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups 60% cacao chocolate chips

Instead of using egg whites, I used whole eggs.  I am thinking that the recipe was developed for those with allergies to gluten and/or eggs.  I also decreased the salt to a pinch.  Otherwise, I followed the directions. Thus...


  • 3 cups powdered sugar


  • 2/3 cup unsweetened Hershey’s dark chocolate cocoa powder


  • Pinch of salt


  • 2 large eggs


  • 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract


  • 1 1/2 cups 60% cacao chocolate chips


  •   

    1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
    2. In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar with cocoa powder and salt.
    3. Beat in the vanilla and eggs until the batter is moistened.
    4. Stir in the chocolate chips. (Next time, trying semi or milk chocolate)
    5. Scoop the batter by the tablespoon full onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave enough space between each cookie for them to spread.
    6. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the tops are glossy and lightly cracked.
    7. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
    8. My one addition...add vanilla frosting to the top of the cookie and enjoy!  I love sweets, so while the fudgey cookie was delicious, I needed a little more oomph of sugar.

    Chicken and Rice Slow Cooker Casserole

    Here's the link to the original recipe: http://www.southernplate.com/2010/09/slow-cooker-cheesy-chicken-and-rice-the-downside-of-being-a-swan-princess.html

    • 4 bonless, skinless chicken breasts
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 10 oz yellow rice
    • 2 cup cheddar cheese
    • 1 - 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup (regular or fat free)
    • 1 -15 ounce bag of frozen corn, drained
    I had pulled chicken from the freezer to thaw out for this recipe, but it wasn't completely dethawed before I attempted to make this recipe, but I tried it anyway with great results.  So this recipe can have partially frozen chicken breasts and still turn out great!

    I place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot, topped with the cream of chicken, and diced the onion and threw it in the pot.  I set the crock pot on low for 8 and walked away.  I came back around dinner time, cooked the rice and corn, threw these two items in the pot, then added 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese.  After the cheese melted, I stirred everything together and served with garlic bread.  Very good dinner and so easy.  I should add that I did use a knife to cut the chicken breasts into 8 pieces and then stirred the mixture - the chicken fell apart really well.

    I'll save the dud recipe for another day when there's more time, but I will say I was disappointed in the Buffalo Chicken Rolls, but I think it's due to the shell.  I do love blue cheese, hot sauce, and chicken, so I am going to rip open the shells and eat the mixture with cheddar cheese and whole wheat dipping chips!


    No comments:

    Post a Comment