Saturday, September 10, 2011

The First Week

You know what's awesome about Aidan being born on September 3rd (besides now being able to hold, love, snuggle, etc) - he shares the same day of the week as AJ and I do for our birthdays and anniversary.  So next year, all of our birthdays and our wedding anniversary will be on Sunday.  How cool is that?  (Don't get me started on the likelihood of this occurring - I'll do the math)

Anyway, so I guess this blog will have to take a whole new direction since the journey is complete - Aidan is on the outside.  So I will try and have a weekly update on his journey through life.  And as I recover from delivery, I'll keep a weekly mom update - it'll be the last part of the blog so for those that don't want to read all the TMI stuff, you can quit after reading about Aidan's week.

And let's start this week off with a cute picture of Aidan - so many to choose from, but AJ was really excited about the tractors he bought Aidan (one is a replica of the equipment AJ used to clear our land), so I will show off his tractor "photoshoot."

6 days old
If you want to ohhh and ahhh Aidan, there are plenty of pictures uploaded here:

Not long after birth, I breastfeed Aidan, and ever since, he has fed like a champ!  It is so funny to watch him root around and latch on that I look forward to these moments.  Sometimes, he is mad when we wake him with a diaper change that I swear he takes it out on me when he feeds!  He clamps down...and AJ laughs.  Thanks hun, that felt great.

I did send Aidan back to the nursery each night, but I told them to wake me for feedings and that he was not to be fed in the nursery.  I had no problem waking up and feeding Aidan through out the night, though sometimes he just wanted to go back to sleep, and I had to undress him and rub cold water on his back along with blowing cool air on him to wake him! 

We did elect to have Aidan circumcised, so that procedure occurred on Sunday.  They did have to redress the circumcision due to a drop of blood, but other than that, no problems.  On Monday, the pediatrician looked at the circumcision, and he was observed for 15 minutes in the nursery.  He was given a clean bill of health so in 48 hours after birth, Aidan was discharged from the hospital (that's his new Clemson blanket in the picture, though you can't see the paw).

2 Days Old
Once home, it was our job as parents to begin to figure out all the quirks that made Aidan happy and those that made him cry. Was it gas? Did he need to burp? Was his diaper wet? Was that a fart or a dirty diaper? Is he hungry? Why is his shirt wet? How many wet diapers was that?  There's so much to learn and so much to remember.

On Wednesday, we had to take Aidan to his first pediatrician appointment.  I made sure I fed him right before we had to leave so that he wouldn't get hungry while we were out.  Well, the doctor's office screwed up - they told me 1:30, and when they wrote up our chart for the nurse, they put down 2:00 for the appointment.  Then, they were running 20 minutes behind, so we waited 50 minutes to be seen.  Guess Aidan thought he would show them or us

Funny but gross story to follow...

We go to the room and undress Aidan so he can be weighed, have his temperature taken, and have the doctor check him out for anything of concern.  So the nurse takes his rectal temperature since it's the most accurate. As soon as she pulls out the thermometer, Aidan poops all over the table. We start cleaning him up, and he farts several times in AJ's face. As we think we are getting the situation under control, he continues to poop. I mean, massive amounts of mustard yellow poop. Then he pees all over himself. I am dying laughing and crying because I am laughing so hard.  AJ is calm and continues to wipe up poop from the table. And as we think everything is under control, Aidan gives us one more big dose of nasty poop. Poor kid is crying as we try to clean him up, and of course, he still has to be weighed so we can't dress him. I don't understand how something so small can produce so much!

I really could not stop laughing...I couldn't believe how much I was crying either.    I had no control over my reaction, I tried to calm down. Such a crazy event, but now Aidan has a lot smaller dirty diapers - not sure why he wasn't pooping very often. 

After we left, AJ said something along the lines of "thanks for laughing at us"...I was helping clean up, once I caught my breath from laughing.

Such a traumatic day for the poor little boy.  Once we were done, we rushed home because it was time to feed Aidan, and who can blame the guy for being cranky!

I should also mention that we saw a 2 week old baby in the waiting room who was so tiny compared to Aidan.  I whispered to AJ that she (the other baby) was the size I was expecting.  I believe the mom said she was 7lbs. and 19" long...amazing the difference what 1.5 lbs and 2.5" inches makes!

5 Days Old

What we learned this week:
  • Aidan does not like his arms swaddled in the blanket - he loves to move them about while he sleeps or hold them next to his face.
  • When checking the diaper, even if it's already wet, cover his man parts!  He will pee, and it will go everywhere.  If bathing him, watch out for the the stream of pee surely to hit you because of the warm water.
  • Babies have more loads of laundry in a week then both parents combined.
  • Hiccups can be caused by overeating...didn't think he would over eat, but I guess some of the feeding Aidan was doing was actually a soothing method.  Change diapers first, feed second!
  • Aidan is too big for newborn onesies.
All About Mom

Due to the 2nd and 3rd degree tears and the location of one of the tears, I had to have a catheter after I was stitched up.  It was removed 10 hours later, however, I was definitely afraid of peeing, but it was a requirement, and it had to be witnessed by the nurse.  I am typically a very modest person - at the gym, I change in a stall, not out in the open locker room.  However, I realize that I just gave birth and am now recovering from it, so all modesty and shyness goes out the window!  Anyway, I was greatly amazed that there was no stinging or pain when I went to the bathroom.  It was nice to be free of the catheter and not worry about which way I turned in the bed! I still had to wear ice packs and change them out every time I went to the restroom to help with the swelling and reduce pain - though I didn't feel any pain.  I had one Motrin after birth, which help knock the fever out, but other than that, I didn't need any pain medication.

I caught up on sleep, and the nursery woke me up to feed Aidan.  I also had nurses check on me through out the night and occasionally massage my stomach to make sure the uterus was staying firm.  On Sunday morning, I took a shower on my own, and it felt great!  I felt refreshed.  One thing I did notice was that it hurt to sit for long periods - I either needed to stand or lay completely down.

The OB doctor who was present for the delivery of Aidan came by to check on me, too.  She had to check out my hemorrhoids - apparently, they are the size of small grapes, so she had to order a prescription for them.  Oh joy, one more thing to do during my bathroom routine, which now feels like it takes 10 minutes.  No quick peeing for me, nope, it's an ordeal now.  Fill the peri bottle with warm water, pee, change pad and/or ice pack, get several Tuck's pads, spray Tuck's with this healing stuff, put on pad, put 'rhoid meds on Tuck's pad and apply, and somehow pull up the lovely mesh underwear without losing any of the stuff you just put on the ice pack.  Awwww, cool refreshment.  By the way, don't forget the peri bottle at the hospital when you are discharged to go home...and if you do, send your husband back to get a new one. 

On Monday, the OB doctor came by early to check on my status and see if she could discharge me.  She massaged my uterus - good to go!  She checked out my calves, not sure why, but she said I had muscles like an athlete!  Thank you very much, doc, they're my favorite muscle to work out - I love my calves.  I was cleared to be discharged, and once Aidan was cleared to go home, we left the hospital!  Post delivery, we were in the hospital for 48 hours.  The stay went by quickly, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The nurses were great and so was the food, though I was ready to get home and be in my own environment.

Through out the week, I noticed my discomfort from sitting or moving around has greatly decreased, so let's hope the healing is going well.  I also noticed that I had my ankles back!  I could see the ankle bones, and I also noticed my entire leg looked smaller.  I must have retained more water than I thought.  The change was definitely noticeable.

Let's talk about weight.  I am not obsessed with it, I practically have my stomach back, which is nice (maybe a pic next week, too lazy this week).  Post delivery, I am down 18 lbs.  I have not exercised at all this week, and I don't plan on doing anything strenuous.  In fact, I have my gym membership on hold until I receive clearance from my OB that I can go lift weights.  I will start back walking.  In fact, this fall weather has me itching to walk Aidan around the neighborhood, but I feel bad if I can't take my dogs.  Guess I'll take one step at a time.

Anyway, this is turning in a longer post than anticipated, so I quickly summarized some other things I learned about myself this week.

  • My milk definitely came in earlier this week, and I leak like a sieve!  If Aidan is crying, I leak depending on how long it's been since I fed him.  I definitely have to wear pads in a bra at night when sleeping, otherwise I leak all over the sheets (yes, I learned from experience...)
  • Not sure which is larger - my nipples or my hemorrhoids (see, I told you TMI, you were warned)
  • I think I experience some engorgement, but thanks to my breast pump, I was able to relieve it.
  • My eye is definitely healing - there is less blood in it each day.
  • Baths are great, but use wash clothes to dry off certain areas so you don't mess up the towel.
  • Mesh underwear from the hospital is free, thus can be thrown away!  Very convenient.
  • Glad I only washed and wore one of my nursing bras, the second one was exchanged for a bigger one.  Size C...really?  Just seems so unreal, but I needed it.  The other bra was uncomfortable and tight feeling.
  • By the end of the week, I could feel my stitches - swelling is reducing.
  • I am not as sleep deprived as I thought I would be.
  • Maternity leave is going to pass quickly, I just know it!  I am trying to enjoy this time with Aidan as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment