Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Sharing Memories

 
My blood runneth orange.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I cheer for Clemson.  I was never a big college football fan until I attended Clemson, and as the Clemson song says, "there are something in these hills."  Something special no doubt.

On Saturday, AJ and I had the opportunity to share part of those memories we have with Aidan.  It was surreal being in Memorial Stadium at Death Valley, sitting in seats that I help erect, and looking straight at the end zone where we use to cheer.  Never would I have thought that those seats I help ensure had level concrete would be hosts to my family. 

As I stood to sing the National Anthem, say the pledge of allegiance, and bow my head in silence, I thought of Aidan one day attending Clemson.  I know, one step at a time, but I couldn't help but think about being in Clemson 18 years from now watching a game with Aidan because it was parent's weekend.  I know, I need to slow down and enjoy the moment.  It's also possible that Aidan will choose a different college, and I am okay with that, but for now, I will daydream of moving my son into the freshman dorms of Clemson University.

Aidan was quite the trooper.  He was up at 6:30 AM; someone must have whispered in his ear that he was going to have an exciting day.  He was immediately dressed in orange and allowed to play until our departure time.  He napped well, ate well, and played with his books.  Then came the stroller ride, saying hi to his uncle, and tailgating with friends.  He didn't fuss, he only showed off his walking (and throwing) skills. 

Once at the game, he was excited for the band, danced with the stadium music, and clapped at opportune times.  He was never scared of the cannons or fireworks, and he made friends with all of the people around us.  At one point, however, he was to antsy to be held, so I took him out to the concourse where he walked back and forth, banged on glass, and overlooked the tailgate lot through platform rails.

We stayed until the end of the 3rd quarter when we knew we had pushed our luck for the day.  Aidan hadn't napped since the car ride, and his behavior was on the verge of going down hill.  Overall, we had a fantastic day, Aidan enjoyed his first game, and I was able to cheer loudly without looking crazy.  The day was a success, and we look forward to sharing many more Clemson memories with Aidan.  We hope he grows up cheering for the Tigers.

No comments:

Post a Comment