Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Facebook Etiquette?

Sometimes, I wonder why there isn't a list of written etiquette rules for Facebook.  Sure, Facebook has a list of its own rules, but no where does it say you can't post a picture of your kid on the toilet.  I am a parent, I get it, you're proud of your kid.  Heck, we share when our kids first crawl, first walk, so why not first pee on a toilet? Hmmm, that's where I have to draw the line, and I hope you can too, so my news feed has less gag worthy posts.


This is all meant in fun, and obvisiously if you're redirected from Facebook to read my blog, we're still friends.  So I'm not upset, only asking you to reconsider some of the things you post.  For humanity's sake...

So here are my rules
  1. No pictures of people on toilets. No hungover adults hanging over a toilet, and no kids learning to use the toilet.  Embarrassing and inappropriate, plus there are creeps out there, so do you really want that picture available to people on the world wide web?  In addition, no status updates about your kiddos ability to use the toilet.  I scroll Facebook during lunch, I really don't need to read about "#2" while eating.
  2. Selfies - Okay, I get posting a picture of yourself daily...no wait, I don't get it, but I'll accept.  However, it's not okay to post multiple takes of one selfie and repeat this three times a day. You quickly earned yourself "hide from newsfeed".  If you feel you need to take this many selfies, at least, put it on InstaGram.
  3. Speaking of InstaGram, is it really necessary to post every picture on IG to Facebook?  Aren't most of your followers and friends the same?  I can understand every once and a while posting in both places, BUT EVERY PICTURE?
  4. Reposting/sharing every news article you see.  This is especially annoying if it's apparent you're not reading the links, only the title, therefore spreading rumors, misconceptions, and hoaxes. 
  5. Tons of political posts (thankfully not the season for an overload of these, but I can't NOT mention this) - limit yourself. Also see Etiquette Rule No. 4. Read them first - reliable source? Real article?
  6. Lovey dovey wall posts to your significant other.  Really...Facebook? Sure, it's your anniversary or some other special occasion is acceptable. But daily? No way. Pick up the phone and call them, leave a special note, or text the message. Facebook doesn't need to see this, and it really makes me wonder if you're hiding something.  Note: Hacked Facebook account posts are okay and funny.
  7. Extremely bad grammar in your status updates.  Before the popularity of smart phones, we had phones that made us hit a button three times for a "c" and a lot of abbreviations were used, such as "where r u?"  However, most people have smart phones OR are typing from a computer, so such short hand language is not acceptable.  You look like an idiot.  I know I make mistakes, but no one mistakenly writes "r" for "are". So SPELL IT OUT, please.
  8. Your status updates are littered with tons of foul language  - is it really necessary? I hope your momma isn't your friend on Facebook, how embarrassing!
  9. Constant "woe is me" and vague posts that really just seek attention.  If you need help, ASK FOR IT.  If not, quit the negativity and DO SOMETHING about it.
  10. Constant status updates. Please, limit yourself to three a day...and that is a lot in my book.  We don't need to know your every move.  If you can't help yourself, get a Twitter account, please.
  11. After perusing Facebook when I shared this blog's link, I found I had to add another...pictures of dead animals.  That's cool that you hunt, my husband does, but do we need to see the bloody deer?! :/
So what are your rules/annoyances for Facebook? Am I violating one of your rules?

No comments:

Post a Comment